[Radiance-general] Questions about local coordinate systems

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:29:11 +0200

--------------0A8C9707367113C067557EF7

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am using the transdata material for incorporating BTDF's in
> Radiance. In this context, I have to convert cartesian coordinates in
> polar coordinates.
> For a surface (i.e. rectangle) the normal is determined by the right-
> hand rule. So far - so good. Unfortunately, I am not sure how the
> local coordinate system for the rectangle is defined?! How are the x-
> axis, y-axis and z-axis are oriented? The source ray direction
> (x,y,z) and the transmitted ray direction (Dx,Dy,Dz) are referring to
> this local coordinate system, aren't they?

no- All coordinates refer to world coordinates. Radiance doesn't
support a local coordinate attached to the primitive. If you want one,
you have a calculate it manually using the surface normal and a
reference axis and do some vector crosspoducts.
Other programs (e.g. Rayshade) supply a default local coordinate system,

I guess Greg hasn't build one into it since it's not clear what
'default'
means: For one large polygon it *might* seem obvious, for a tesselated
surface it would be not.

-Peter

 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de

--------------0A8C9707367113C067557EF7

[email protected] wrote:
in
x-
no- All coordinates refer to world coordinates. Radiance doesn't
'default'

<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de</pre>
&nbsp;</html>