[Radiance-general] panotools to map textures, patterns etc?

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:28:26 +0100

--------------58D68BBB729ED468D9AC0D89

"Lars O. Grobe" wrote:

> > I can only speak for myself, but enabling casual users to
> > place mappings without effort is not very high on my list of
> > priorities.
>
> Mappings are usually not the most important feature in radiance at all.

I've found rshow's  semi-automatic mapping for polygons quite useful in
projects, but
maybe that's why it had been added....

?

> There's just one reason for my question. I am working on a model of a
> church. In fact, mappings are not the most important for our project,
> but we have documented most important surfaces. So we have photos of the
> domes, what AFAIK means a planar projection of a spherical surface. I
> wonder how I would map this easily, if it gets important... ooops....
> might it be that I could simply map it as on a planar surface in this
> case...?

Reproducing the 3d->2d transformation of the camera results in the image
being where it was (well, not actually very suprisingly).
For  long focal length, a planar mapping  approximates the perspective
transformation. That works whether the surface is
actually planar or spherical, as you guessed,

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de

--------------58D68BBB729ED468D9AC0D89

"Lars O. Grobe" wrote:
users to
I've found rshow's&nbsp; semi-automatic mapping for polygons quite useful
in projects, but
on Ebay)
?
on a model of a
the
Reproducing the 3d->2d transformation of the camera results in the image
being where it was (well, not actually very suprisingly).
perspective transformation. That works whether the surface is
<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------58D68BBB729ED468D9AC0D89--