[Radiance-general] panotools to map textures, patterns etc?

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:42:56 -0500 (EST)

Peter Apian-Bennewitz wrote:

> However, it's disappointing for casual users that Radiance
> hasn't got default mappings for geometric
> primitives (GUI builders- any comments ?).

Automatic mappings on single geometric primitives would be
relatively simple, but also not very useful. In most cases,
mappings will be applied to a group of primitives together,
eg. all the polygon segments of a curved wall. There's no
good way to automatically determine the axis of a cylindrical
mapping without user interaction in such a case.

I can only speak for myself, but enabling casual users to
place mappings without effort is not very high on my list of
priorities. Neither your example file nor the very similar
cyl.cal in the standard library require any deep mathematical
understanding. And of course, Lars isn't really a casual user,
(especially after buying a certain piece of software on Ebay)
so I'm sure he'll eventually figure them out... ;)

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/