[Radiance-general] 3DS to RAD

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> stefke b wrote:
>
> > I use the ConRAD-program from Ole Lemming and most models come through. It
> > is not unlikely that these models generate octrees of more then 100MB, which
> > takes time... but the results are OK.

Do you freeze all your octrees?
Scene data in the tens of MB are common, but a non-frozen
octree beyond 10 MB should be rare.

> Do you use a modified radiance? As far as I know there are limits
> concerning the number of entities.

There are no inherent limits, if you answer the right questions
when compiling (or at least I'm sure you haven't run into *those*
limits yet).

I finally found the avlmemi error in some old mail:
Your problem most likely has to do with a defective qsort()
routine in Linux. Radiance uses this routine in the context
of an attempt at saving some memory when the ambient data
grows beyond a certain margin. If you have lots of RAM, then
you don't really need this, and you can set the margin to
a very big size with the following compilation option:

 -DSORT_THRESH=0x7fffffffffffffff

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com