[Radiance-general] 3DS to RAD

stefke b [email protected]
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:12:31 +0200

With programs like 3DWin by Thomas Baier (PC-only), file conversion should
not really be a problem.

What you say about polygonising everything is true. Only when using file
formats that support other kinds of geometry (NURBS, Bezier-patches,
CSG-constructs) then you'll be able to have the most economic conversion.
There is no "general 3D-file format" at the moment, so unless you can write
a plug-in for your software directly, you'll have to live with these
limitations...

If we could get the software-firms aware of the importance of Radiance, then
they could write export-plugins with a much better support of the
radiance-primitives.

Radiance is however capable of rendering files with a lot of polygons. It is
not the fastest way, but it'll get you there.

I use the ConRAD-program from Ole Lemming and most models come through. It
is not unlikely that these models generate octrees of more then 100MB, which
takes time... but the results are OK.