[Radiance-general] Mesh smoothing

Phillip Greenup [email protected]
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:40:23 +1000

Russell,<br>
We have successfully modelled the refractive light redirection system
known as the 'laser cut panel'.&nbsp; It is simply a sheet of acrylic
with laser cuts in it.&nbsp; The cuts redirect incident illumination by
total internal reflection, giving the panel very powerful light
redirecting properties.&nbsp; The algorithm to model the device is based
on some simple geometrical calculations of directions of deflected and
undeflected rays, and relative intensities of the rays.&nbsp; The
modifier used is the prism2 material.&nbsp; For more info, check the
paper in Lighting Research and Technology:<br>
Greenup, P.J., Edmonds, I.R. and Compagnon, R. (2000), <i>Radiance
Algorithm to Simulate Laser-Cut Panel Light-Redirecting Elements,
I have also developed some algorithms to model reflecting light
redirecting devices, known as light guiding shade panels.&nbsp; The
process is:<br>
model the flat reflective surfaces as polygons, the curved reflective
surfaces using gensurf<br>
run oconv with the appropriate room and sky definitions<br>
set a void output surface adjacent to the inside of the light redirecting
device<br>
run mkillum with appropriately high settings of the -s and -d parameters
in particular<br>
add the resulting geometry using oconv -i ...<br>
get your pictures, illuminances, etc as usual.<br>
the results for each algorithm have been compared against measurements in
labs and in test buildings, and compare well.&nbsp; if you would like
more info, or the calculation file for the laser cut panels, let me know
and i will be happy to send it to you.<br>
Regards,<br>
Phil Greenup<br>
light redirection systems (horizantal/vertical<br>
glazing) and refractive systems. I have looked at some of the designs on
and attempted to model them using AutoCAD or a gen program then assigning
a dielectric<br>
material. Does any else have experience with creating these and would it
be possible<br>
to use a different modifier? I am looking for the most accurate
calculation.<br>
Thanks<br>
Russell Maunder<br>
BBSc (hons)<br>