[Radiance-daysim] Radiance-daysim Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at epfl.ch
Thu Aug 11 04:06:46 PDT 2016

Hi Abigail,

-for the solar transmissivity you can use the same equation.

-the pts-file does not contain the information about the sensor type. If
you want to change that manually, you have to do that in the header
file. Syntax please see here:
http://daysim.ning.com/page/keyword-output-units . If you have hundreds
of points, I recommend to write a script generating for you this entry
in the header-file.

-I haven't used the new version of DIVA yet, so maybe someone else can
answer this question more detailed. I know you can go two approaches,
either you define a node in W/m*m and run an annual simulation with
daysim OR you run an irradiation map with /gencumulativesky /,but I'm
not sure where to invoke the latter one in the new version.

good luck!
Jan/
/

On 11/08/16 12:09, Abigail Chi wrote:

> Hi Jan
>
> To compute trasnmissivity (tn) from transmittance (Tn), I should use:
>          tn = (sqrt(.8402528435+.0072522239*Tn*Tn)-.9166530661)/.0036261119/Tn
> But, how can I compute the solar transmissivity from the solar
> transmittance?
>

> Besides, can you help me with the following:
> - What is the way in Daysim to customize all sensor points in the
> file  *.pts as irradiance sensors? This last in order to avoid
> customizing all sensors, one by one, in the sensor type column of the
> Daysim  interface.
>
> - I am new in Diva-for-Rhino, but I have seen that  it can
> calculate annual irradiation at node locations (radiation maps-grid
> based). Is this equivalent to the calculation of the solar irradiation
> in Daysim?
>
> Many thanks
>
>     ------------------------------
>
>     Message: 2
>     Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:49:22 +0200
>     From: Jan Wienold <jan.wienold at epfl.ch <mailto:jan.wienold at epfl.ch>>
>     To: DAYSIM discussion <radiance-daysim at radiance-online.org
>     <mailto:radiance-daysim at radiance-online.org>>
>     Subject: Re: [Radiance-daysim] Radiance-daysim Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1
>
>     Radiance and Daysim do internally not raytrace spectrally - there are
>     calculating simply in channels (RGB for Radiance, Daysim just
>     one). That
>     means:what you put in you will get out :
>
>     If you use a weather file with solar spectrum AND your material
>     properties are valid for that range (that means using solar
>     transmittance, solar reflectance) then you also get solar
>     irradiance as
>     output.
>
>     That means for your last question: Yes, you should insert the "solar
>     transmissivity" (must be calculated from the solar transmittance).
>     Don't
>     forget to use also solar reflectance values for all your surfaces.
>     Usually they are very similar to the visible, but there are
>     exceptions.
>
>     But please consider, that Radiance (and daysim) are raytracers!
>     They do
>     not consider any change in wavelength for a ray. That means they
>     do NOT
>     consider the heating up of a surface when it is absorbing
>     radiation and
>     emitting it in the IR.
>
>     That's why you CANNOT calculate the "real" SHGC of a window
>     system. You
>     can just calculate the solar transmittance. Depending on your glazing
>     system the difference between the SHGC and the solar transmittance
>     could
>     significant (I guess more than 40% is possible in general,
>     typically the
>     difference for a normal glazing is in a range of 10-20%)!
>
>     E.g. if you check  a typical glazing from Interpane (Tau_vis=0.76,
>     Tau_solar=0.48, SHGC=0.55, see here:
> [...]

Dr.-Ing.  Jan Wienold
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
EPFL ENAC IA LIPID

http://people.epfl.ch/jan.wienold
LE 1 111 (Office)
Phone    +41 21 69 30849