[Radiance-general] General Questions: Math for Radiance; Estimated time to proficiency

핑크黒 20.pin.chang at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 08:22:42 PDT 2017

Hello Radiance Community,

I'm from the ladybug/honeybee community. I'm not very familiar with the
technicalities behind ray-tracing software so I was just wondering about
what Mathematics/Physics I'd have to study in order to have a firm
understanding of how Radiance works. The only thing that comes to mind is
Optics and maybe Linear Algebra but I'm sure there's more to that.

For example, I studied Thermodynamics in order to understand EnergyPlus,
and Multivariable Calculus w/ Fluid dynamics to understand CFD software.

Also, I was just wondering about the learning curve of Radiance. Although
I'm not an expert, I'm quite confident in my Python skills. How long might
it take me to get a good grasp of Radiance (Intermediate - Proficient) if
study it for 2-3 hours a day?

Thank you very much!